Monday, January 15, 2007

Switching to new blogger

Well that was fun -- I've just made the switch to new Blogger. The actual switcheroo was relatively painless, but it was all the stuff before hand that was a PITA: backing up my blog. I'd heard too many stories (one is too many) of Blogger eating people's blogs, so I decided to backup my blog first. And, naturally, old Blogger doesn't have an export/backup function.

Backing up the published blog posts was relatively painless ("thank you wget!") but I have about one hundred posts still in draft mode. And those I had to backup the slow and painful way, by opening each one, copying the text, and pasting it into a text file.

After all that effort, I'm kinda disappointed that there were no disasters...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a holistic link that science has yet to explain, between properly backing up data and the non-event of a disaster. Backing up should be for recovery purposes, but instead seems to have some preventative effect. There should be no causal link between you taking a copy of some files, and everything running smoothly, but it is always the case. Problems will only occur if there aren't good backups.

Perhaps it's some kind of quantum thing, like Schrodingers cat, wherein the disaster exists in a state of both happening and not happening, whereafter one of two events will occur to resolve the waveform - either you'll backup your data, and the disaster won't happen, or they'll run the upgrade, and you'll be hosed...