Thursday, March 08, 2007

Rather harsh

On the train this morning, somebody left behind an exercise book which I dropped it off at Lost and Found.

But before I did, I checked the book for contact details. There was a short handout from the NMIT Department of Agriculture, written by the lecturer John Wellman.

Now, I don't know who this John Wellman is. He's probably a really nice guy who loves small children and is kind to puppies. But holy mother of pearl, the disclaimer plastered on the front of the handout was rather harsh! I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist of it was that the handout was the responsibility of the individual student, and under no circumstances would the lecturer or the Department provide another copy.

Imagine a student whose bag is stolen, or house burns down, and the lecture refuses to replace the handout, even if the student offers to pay for it. I would hope that the lecturer has no intention in living up to such a heartless warning, which raises the question, why make such an unreasonable claim in the first place?

No comments: