Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It's official: satire is now dead

And it was murdered by Pete.

Pete's written a rant about the evils of abortion, and guess what his primary source is?

The Onion.

Oh lordy lordy lordy. If Pete wasn't so deadly serious, I'd be rolling on the floor laughing.

Now, some folks might think that poor old Pete is guilty of nothing more than failing to read the whole "essay" in The Onion. But no... Pete actually quotes the supposed author as saying:

I realize there are those who will condemn me to hell for what I'm about to do. Well, I don't care what they say: It's worth it for all the fun and laughs I'm going to have at the clinic.

Is it possible that Pete's eyes glazed over the bit where "Caroline Weber" described the "fun" she was so looking forward to?

I seriously cannot wait for all the hemorrhaging and the uterine contractions.

Or maybe, since it involves real hard words with four syllables, perhaps he just didn't understand it. (What is a uterine anyway? Something to do with pickup trucks?)

Certainly he doesn't get satire or irony. And now he's murdered it for the rest of us.

No comments: